Pr. Stéphanie Debette, Coordinator© Bordeaux University
Stéphanie Debette is Professor of Epidemiology at University of Bordeaux (UBx) and leads a team on “vascular and neurological diseases: integrative and genetic epidemiology” (VINTAGE) at Bordeaux Population Health Research Center U1219. She is also practicing neurologist at the neurology Memory Clinic in Bordeaux University Hospital.
Stéphanie Debette is PI on several grants exploring environmental and genetic determinants of brain aging, especially vascular brain aging (ERC, ANR, JPND, IdEx). She is a partner on two H2020 projects on common mechanisms in stroke and Alzheimer disease and risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation and intracerebral hemorrhage, member of the board of directors of the world stroke organization, and in 2017-2018 she held a visiting professor position at Kyoto University Center for Genomic Medicine. She co-authored >160 publications, including first/last author papers in Nat Genet, Lancet Neurology, BMJ, Circulation (H-Index WOS: 37). As chair of the International Stroke Genetics Consortium (ISGC) and member of the research steering committee of the CHARGE consortium (cohorts for heart and aging research in genomic epidemiology), she has extensive international collaborations. She has organized and coordinated expert panels in the context of dissections (leading to publications in Nat Genet and Lancet Neurol). Also, since 2015 she (co-)organizes a unique annual summer school on neuroepidemiology in the omics era, Neurepiomics, held in Bordeaux, Boston, and Kyoto, with international experts in the field.
She is also the founder of the Music for the Brain philanthropic initiative.
List of the five major selected peer-reviewed publications
• Malik R, Chauhan G, Traylor M, Sargurupremraj M, […], Seshadri S, Fornage M, Markus HS, Howson JMM, Kamatani Y, Debette S*, Dichgans M* *co-corresponding authors. Multi-ancestry genome-wide association study of 520,000 subjects identifies 32 loci associated with stroke and stroke subtypes. Nat Genet. 2018;50:524-537. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5968830
• Chauhan G, Arnold CR, […], Debette S. Identification of additional risk loci for stroke and small vessel disease: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Lancet Neurol, 2016;15:695-707. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4943223
• Debette S, Kamatani Y, […], Lathrop M, Leys D, Amouyel P, and Dallongeville J.New insight into the pathogenesis of cervical artery dissection: A genome-wide association study. Nat Genet. 2015; 47(1):78-83. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5824623
• Debette S, Compter A, [...] Arnold M, Bousser MG. Epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of intracranial artery dissection. Lancet Neurol 2015;14:640-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(15)00009-5. PMID:25987283
• Debette S, Markus HS. The clinical importance of white matter hyperintensities on brain magnetic resonance imaging: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010; 341. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2910261/
>160 articles in PubMed, H-index: 37 WOS (52 google scholar), 5854 citations (WOS)
• Mishra A, Chauhan G, Violleau MH, Soumare A, Vojinovic D, Jian X, Bis J, Li S, Saba Y, Yang Q, Bartz T, Hofer E, Zhu Y, Mazoyer B, Lathrop M, Schmidt H, Van Duijn C, Ikram MA, Longstreth WT, Fornage M, Seshadri S, Joutel A, Tzourio C, Debette S. Association of variants in HTRA1 and NOTCH3 with MRI-defined extremes of cerebral small vessel disease in older community persons: an exome sequencing study. BRAIN, 2019, in press
• Duperron MG, Tzourio C, Sargurupremraj M, Mazoyer B, Soumaré A, Schilling S, Amouyel P, Chauhan G, Zhu YC, Debette S. Burden of Dilated Perivascular Spaces, an Emerging Marker of Cerebral Small Vessel Disease, Is Highly Heritable. Stroke. 2018 Feb;49(2):282-287. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.117.019309. Epub 2018 Jan 8. PMID:29311265
• Debette S, Schilling S, Duperron MG, Larsson SC, Markus HS. Clinical significance of MRI-markers of vascular brain injury. A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Neurol. 2018 Oct 22. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.3122.PMID:30422209
• Woo D, Anderson CD, Maguire J, Fornage M, Lee JM, Seshadri S, Markus HS, Majersik JJ, Jimenez-Conde J, Crawford K, Lindgren AG, Debette S. Top research priorities for stroke genetics. Lancet Neurol. 2018 Aug;17(8):663-665. doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(18)30243-6. PMID: 30033056
• Duperron MG, Tzourio C, Sargurupremraj M, Mazoyer B, Soumaré A, Schilling S, Amouyel P, Chauhan G, Zhu YC, Debette S. Burden of Dilated Perivascular Spaces, an Emerging Marker of Cerebral Small Vessel Disease, Is Highly Heritable. Stroke. 2018; 49:282-287. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/STROKEAHA.117.019309
• Schilling S, Tzourio C, Soumaré A, Kaffashian S, Dartigues JF, Ancelin ML, Samieri C, Dufouil C, Debette S. Differential associations of plasma lipids with incident dementia and dementia subtypes in the 3C- Study: A longitudinal, population-based prospective cohort study. Plos Med 2017 14(3):e1002265. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5369688/
• Adams HH, Hibar DP, Chouraki V, Stein JL, Nyquist PA, Rentería ME, Trompet S, Arias-Vasquez A, Seshadri S, Desrivières S, Beecham AH, Jahanshad N, Wittfeld K, Van der Lee SJ, Abramovic L, Alhusaini S, Amin N, Andersson M, Arfanakis K, […], Van der Wee NJ, Van Duijn CM, […], DeCarli C, Schmidt H, Martin NG, De Craen AJ, Wright MJ, Launer LJ*, Schumann G*, Fornage M*, Franke B*, Debette S*, Medland SE*, Ikram MA*, Thompson PM*. * starred last authors Novel genetic loci underlying human intracranial volume identified through genome-wide association. Nat Neurosci. 2016; 19:1569-1582. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5227112/
• Debette S, Ibrahim Verbaas CA, Bressler J, […], Tzourio C, Papassotiropoulos A, Bennett DA, Ikram MA, Deary IJ, van Duijn CM, Launer L, Fitzpatrick AL, Seshadri S, Mosley Jr TH, for the CHARGE Consortium. Genetic variants in immune and ubiquitin pathways associate with verbal memory. Biol Psy. 2015;77:749-63.PMC4513651