Prof. Christophe Tzourio
Pr. Christophe Tzourio, director for SMART research activities, is professor of epidemiology and public health at Bordeaux University and director of Inserm Center of UMR897. Pr. Tzourio has a pioneered the description of MRI-markers of small artery disease and has a special interest in the consequences of blood pressure on the brain. He is PI of the i-Share and 3C cohort studies.
Christophe Tzourio, MD PhD, born in 1958, is Professor of epidemiology and public health at Bordeaux University and director of Inserm Center UMR897. Pr. Tzourio is ranked in the top 1% of highly cited scientists by the ISI Web of Science. He was initially trained as a vascular neurologist and in 1994 became full time researcher with the Inserm. In 2005 he was appointed Director of a new research lab in neuroepidemiology in Paris (Inserm U708) and in 2013 became director of the research center Inserm U1219 in Bordeaux. He is currently PI of an ongoing population-based cohort study in >9000 elderly individuals, the 3C study, the main aim of which is to assess the importance of vascular factors in dementia. He is also PI of an ongoing blood pressure lowering trial (LEOPOLD) aiming at reducing the burden of cerebral small artery disease and thereby lowering the risk of cognitive decline and dementia. Finally he is PI of the i-Share study (www.i-share.fr), an ongoing large student cohort aiming at studying students’ health as well as early determinants of common diseases occurring later in life, especially neurological disease. For this cohort he obtained a prestigious “Investment for the Future” grant from the National Research Agency (ANR). Pr. Tzourio has long-standing special interest for the consequences of blood pressure on the brain and particularly through the study of MRI-markers of small artery disease of the brain. He pioneered the description of several of these markers, together with the team of Prof. Mazoyer. He serves on the scientific board of several large international vascular prevention trials (PROGRESS, LEOPOLD, SUPPORT-CVD). He co-authored over 330 articles (H-Index WOS: 71).
1. Alpérovitch A, Kurth T, Bertrand M, Ancelin ML, Helmer C, Debette S, Tzourio C. Primary prevention with lipid lowering drugs and long term risk of vascular events in older people: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2015; 350:h2335.
2. Tzourio C, Laurent S, Debette S. Is hypertension associated with an accelerated aging of the brain? Hypertension 2014; 63(5):894-903
3. Brisset M, Boutouyrie P, Pico F, Zhu YC, Zureik M, Schilling S, Dufouil C, Mazoyer B, Laurent S, Tzourio C, Debette S. Large-vessel correlates of cerebral small-vessel disease. Neurology 2013;80(7):662-669
4. Kurth T, Mohamed S, Maillard P, Chabriat H, Mazoyer B, Bousser MG, Dufouil C, Tzourio C. Headache, migraine, and structural brain lesion: the EVA MRI study. BMJ 2011 Jan 18;342: c7357
5. Zhu YC, Dufouil C, Mazoyer B, Soumaré A, Ricolfi F, Tzourio C, Chabriat H. Frequency and location of dilated Virchow-Robin spaces in elderly people: a population-based 3D MR imaging study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011; 32:709-13.