Dr. Cécile Delcourt
Dr. Cécile Delcourt is epidemiologist and senior researcher at Inserm Center U1219, where she leads the LEHA team. She is internationally renowned for her work on the epidemiology of eye diseases (esp. age-related macular degeneration, cataract and glaucoma), especially in relation with risk factors such as smoking, light exposure and nutrition. She manages the POLA and Alienor studies and heads the European Eye Epidemiology consortium.
Cécile Delcourt, PhD, born in 1968, is senior researcher (directrice de recherche) at Inserm Center U1219, and director of the LEHA (Lifelong Exposures, Health and Aging) team. She has a strong expertise in the epidemiology of eye diseases (in particular AMD, cataract and glaucoma). She is internationally renowned in the identification of risk factors for major eye diseases (in particular smoking, light exposure and nutrition). She has been leading 2 major population-based epidemiological studies in the field, since 1995 (POLA and Alienor studies). Since 2011, she heads the “European Eye Epidemiology” consortium, gathering 32 teams from 12 European countries. She is co-author of over140 articles (H-Index WOS: 30). She was consulted as an expert by the European Commission, the French Health Autority, INRA, the Welcome Trust, the Lebanese CNRS and the British Council Preventing Blindness.
1. Delcourt C, Korobelnik JF, Buintendijk G, Foster PJ, Hammond CJ, Piermarocchi S, Peto T, Jansonius N, Mirshahi A, Hogg R, Bretillon L, Topouzis F, Deak G, Grauslund J, Souied EH, Creuzot-Garcher C, Sahel J, Lehtimäki T, Hense HW, Prokofyeva E, Oexle K, Rahi JS, Cumberland PM, Schmitz-Valckenberg S, Fauser S, Bertelsen G, Hoyng C, Bergen A, Silva R, Wolf S, Lotery A, Chakravarthy U, Fletcher A, Klaver CCW, on behalf of the European Eye Epidemiology (E3) consortium. Ophthalmic epidemiology in Europe: the European Eye Epidemiology (E3) consortium. Eur J Epidemiol 2016; 31: 197-210
2. Williams KM, Bertelsen G, Cumberland P, Wolfram C, Verhoeven VJ, Anastasopoulos E, Buitendijk GH, Cougnard-Grégoire A, Creuzot-Garcher C, Erke MG, Hogg R, Höhn R, Hysi P, Khawaja AP, Korobelnik JF, Ried J, Vingerling JR, Bron A, Dartigues JF, Fletcher A, Hofman A, Kuijpers RW, Luben RN, Oexle K, Topouzis F, von Hanno T, Mirshahi A, Foster PJ, van Duijn CM, Pfeiffer N, Delcourt C, Klaver CC, Rahi J, Hammond CJ; European Eye Epidemiology (E(3)) Consortium. Increased prevalence of myopia in Europe and the impact of education. Ophthalmology 2015; 122: 1489-1497.
3. Delcourt C, Cougnard-Gregoire A, Boniol M, Carriere I, Dore JF, Delyfer MN, Rougier MB, Le Goff M, Dartigues JF, Barberger-Gateau P, Korobelnik JF. Lifetime exposure to ambient ultraviolet radiation and the risk for cataract extraction and age-related macular degeneration: the alienor study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2014;55:7619-27.
4. Helmer C, Malet F, Rougier MB, Schweitzer C, Colin J, Delyfer MN, Korobelnik JF, Barberger-Gateau P, Dartigues JF, Delcourt C. Is there a link between open-angle glaucoma and dementia? The Three-City-Alienor cohort. Ann Neurol 2013; 74:171-9.
5. Daien V, Carriere I, Kawasaki R, Cristol JP, Villain M, Fesler P, Ritchie K, Delcourt C. Retinal Vascular Caliber Is Associated with Cardiovascular Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress and Inflammation: The POLA Study. PLoS One 2013;8: e71089.